“Keep a copy of everything you write.”
Those were the words of my mother, in the mid-1960’s, as a young boy with an interest in poetry. I had one of those little manual typewriters that I’d gotten as a Christmas gift, to go along with the home printing press I’d bought to produce a neighborhood newspaper. Writing was in my blood. It might be in yours too, the passion to put words on a page just as others put color on a canvas and admire the art. Words are powerful, and I love them.
You’ve found your way to the writing section of my web site, and here you can learn more about my novels, my poetry (old as it is) and what’s coming in my future writing. More novels, a non-fiction book, and perhaps more poetry are on the horizon. Here, too, you can learn more about the resources I use to create my work, to edit it, and here you can discover the importance of investing financially in your craft. Just as an athlete needs to practice, to compete, and to get the valuable insight of a coach, a good writer also needs practice, competition, and mentoring. That takes an investment of time and money. . . an investment you would be wise to make.
Keep a copy of everything you write. It’s easy to do these days, using a computer. But don’t just keep your work for future reference, or to see how many drawers you can fill in a file cabinet. Keep a copy to refer to in the future. I promise, you’ll re-read something you wrote ten years ago, even a year ago, and wonder who wrote it. You’ll find ideas and inspiration tucked away in old thoughts, and they will inspire new genius in your writing. Keep a journal of ideas. Tend your mind garden and it will produce a bountiful crop.
My mother passed away in 2005, but her wisdom of five decades ago was genius. I kept a copy of every page I’ve ever written, recycling used carbon paper and notebook paper fifty years ago. As I wrote, and my experience grew, I came to realize that writing was what made me happiest. And it’s the passion that drives me today.
I’ve divided my writing site into several sections.
- What direction is the country headed as we face a threat of terrorism on our own soil? Who is the enemy, and how do we defeat that threat? Learn more in the upcoming series “Enemy Within”.
- You can learn more about my techno-thriller trilogy, Mars Hill Classified, with the first link. There you can read more about The Evidence, The Proof (Christy Finalist 2007) and The Return.
- My latest completed novel is a unique story entitled H2O, written in the first person about a young woman who suffers surreal visions each time she gets wet. How long could you go without a bath? Read more about this novel and find out how Kate Pepper dealt with that problem.
- Interested in issues that revolve around bioethics? What happens when we sell our body parts, or our DNA? Check out Nobody’s Child here.
- Do you enjoy poetry? Surf on over to It Only Takes a Spark and read my early writing, dating back to those days with a manual typewriter.
- Want to learn more about my writing? Check out a video below or listen to an interview I gave on Harvest TV if you have a moment. These interviews will give you an insight into where my books came from, and where they’re headed.